On Sunday, I was able to spend almost 90 minutes as a guest DJ on my favorite “oldies” radio show – Tin Pan Alley – on WDVR 89.7 FM. The appearance was a gift from my wife; the station allows guest DJs with a donation as part of its fundraising efforts.
WDVR is a special station because it is non-commercial and a non-profit, and it plays a lot of music you won’t hear on other stations. More than 50 volunteers run the station – you can check out the station and the shows at https://www.pennjerseyradio.org/.
Barb Zentner’s Tin Pan Alley is three hours of “Sunday afternoons of hot jazz & swing, vaudeville & novelty songs, and your favorite tea while listening to British dance bands & music hall artists. ” Barb has great taste and a wide knowledge of all kinds of music. It was an honor to be on her show and talk about the type of 78 rpm records I love and collect.
Here is a link to the first 10 minutes of the show:
Here is the entire broadcast, with news and promos deleted:
Here is the track list:
- Somebody Loves Me – Adrian Rollini & His Orchestra (2:29)
- Sugar – Alberta Hunter and Thomas “Fats” Waller (3:14)
- Louise – Ben Pollack & His Park Central Orchestra (3:24)
- Blue Moon – Benny Goodman & His Orchestra (3:14)
- Wild About Horns On Automobiles – Billy Hays & His Orchestra (3:18)
- Try A Little Tenderness – Bing Crosby (3:12)
- Everybody Loves My Baby – The Boswell Sisters (2:22)
- An Operatic Nightmare -Frank Banta (3:13)
- Tip Toe Through The Tulips – Fred Rich & His Orchestra (3:06)
- I Like Pie, I Like Cake – Goofus Five (3:15)
- Three Little Words – Quintet of the Hot Club of France (2:52)
- Just The Same – Roger Wolfe Kahn & His Orchestra (3:00)
- Gems from “Oh, Kay”– The Revelers (4:25)
- Gershwin Memorial Concert Medley – Nat Shilkret and the Victor Salon Orchestra (7:58)
- Never Swat A Fly – McKinney’s Cotton Pickers (3:02)
- Stardust – Louis Armstrong and His Orchestra (3:30)
- Heigh Ho – Bunny Berigan and His Orchestra (2:45)